Loves writing, food, runes, Reykjavík life, traveling in Iceland and being out in nature. Born in England but fell in love with Iceland in 2010 and moved here, been here since.
There are some fabulous places to eat along the South Coast of Iceland. Snacks, lunches, relaxed suppers or formal dinners along the way - our café/restaurant guide has got them covered! Let´s go on a culinary journey from Hveragerði to Höfn!
Whether you want budget or classy dining there are some fabulous bistros, café and restaurants in little towns, and villages and sometimes at country hotels and farms along the South Coast.
So let´s go on a culinary journey from Hveragerði to Höfn!
Places where to eat along the South Coast of Iceland
B = budget – A = average price – E = expensive – V = vegetarian – Vg = vegan – F = fish
Most places fall into more than one price category, for example, where there are budget and average price items available. Restaurants with the code V or Vg have a vegetarian or vegan-friendly option (s), their menus also offer fish and/or meat dishes for non-vegetarians.
Country guesthouses and farms sometimes often offer evening meal options for guests, usually, you will need to book this in advance. The restaurants at country hotels listed below all offer meals to non-guests without advance booking if space is available.
1. Restaurant Varma, Frost & Fire Guest House Hverhamar, Hveragerdi 810. A classy restaurant with an extensive evening menu. Breakfast, lunch, drinks, and snacks are also available – open daily from 08:00 to 22:00 (A&V,Vg,F)
2. Ölverk Pizza & Brugghús Breiðumörk 2b, Hveragerði 810. Friendly and cozy pizza restaurant and small brewery focusing on Italian food. Open Sunday to Thursday 11:30 to 22:00 and 11:30 to 23:00 on Friday and Saturday (B&A,V,Vg,F).
3. Skyrgerðin Breiðamörk 25, Hveragerði 210. European and Scandinavian cuisine. Open Sunday to Thursday 11:00 to 22:00 and Friday to Saturday 11:00 to 23:00 (B & A, V, Vg, F).
4. Kaffi Krús Austurvegur 7, Selfoss 800. Cozy café with cakes, pizza, pasta, salads, sandwiches, burgers, and main courses. Open daily 09:30 to 22:00 (B&A,V,Vg,F)
5. Tryggvaskáli Austurvegur 1, Selfoss 800. Local produce, regular menu and 3 and 5 course set menus. Open Sunday to Wednesday 11:30 to 22:00 and Thursday to Saturday 11:30 to 23:00 (A&E,V,Vg,F).
6. Gudnarbakarí Austurvegur 31b, Selfoss 800. European and Scandinavian bakery/café, breakfast, lunch, brunch, and cakes. Takeout available. Open weekdays 08:00 to 17:30, Saturday 08:00 to 16:00 and Sunday 09:30 to 16:00 (B,V).
7. Árhús Rangárbakkar, Hella. Riverside restaurant – pizza, sandwiches, cakes, soups and extensive Italian and European menu are on offer. Open Monday to Saturday 11:00 to 22:00 and Sunday 17:00 to 22:00 (B&A,V,Vg,F).
8. Gamlafjósið (The Old Cowshed) Hvassafell, 861 Hvolsvöllur. Local beef and fish, vegetarian options are fairly limited. Open daily 11:00 to 21:00 (E,F, V).
9. Eldstó Art Café Austurvegur 2, 860 Hvolsvöllur. Scandinavian cuisine, burgers, fish, soups, starters, desserts and cakes. Open daily 11:45 to 22:00 (B&A,V,F, Vg).
10. Country Hotel Anna Restaurant Moldnúpur, 861 Hvollsvöllur. Homemade Scandinavian and European dishes using local ingredients. Open daily for breakfast 08:00 to 10:00 and dinner 18:30 to 21:00. In summer also open during the day offering lunches, drinks and light refreshments (B&A,V,F).
11. Hótel Skógafoss Bistro and Bar Skógar 861, next to the waterfall. Breakfast, lunch, brunch, and dinner. Scandinavian and European cuisine. Open all day (B&A,V,F,Vg).
12. Sveitagrill Míu Mia’s Country Grill Local fish and chips from the red food truck just a couple of minutes east of Skógafoss Waterfall. Outdoor seating and takeaway. Open daily 12:00 to 16:00 (B,F).
13. The Black Beach Restaurant Reynishverfisvegur, Mýrdalshreppur 871 (at Reynisfjara Black Beach). Soups and homemade bread, sandwiches, burgers, starters, main courses, drinks, and cakes. Open daily 11:00 to 18:00 (B&A,V,F, Vg).
14. Suður Vík Suðurvíkurvegur 1, Pizza and bar with a Scandinavian and European menu, lunches, snacks and evening meals – phoning to reserve a table for an evening meal is recommended (354 487 1515). Open daily 12:00 to 21:00 (B&A,V,F).
15. Halldors Kaffi Víkurbraut 28, Vík í Myrdal, Vík 870. Pizza, American, Scandinavian and European Cuisine. Snacks, lunches, cakes and evening meals. Open daily June to September 12:00 to 22:00 and October to May 12:00 to 21:00 (B&A,V,F, Vg).
16. Systra Kaffi Klausturvegur 13, Kirkjubæjarklaustur 880. Pizza, international and European cuisine. Starters, small meals, burgers, main meals, salads, and desserts. Open daily 12:00 to 21:00 (B&A,V,F, Vg).
17. Freysnes Gas Station Café Skaftafell, Vatnajökull National Park 785, fast food, salads, hot dogs, some main meals, soups, and desserts. Open 09:00 to 20:00 (B,V).
19. Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon Café Beside the lagoon Jökulsárlón. Sandwiches and soups, coffee, chocolate, drinks, cakes, and snacks, sit outside and watch the icebergs. Open November to February 09:00 to 17:00, March, April, May and October 09:00 to 18:00 and June to September 09:00 to 19:00 (B&A,V).
20. Hali Country Hotel Restaurant Hali 781, Hofn, Iceland. Local fish, meat and traditional Icelandic ingredients with a European twist. Starters, main meals, desserts, drinks, snacks, homemade cakes. Open 08:00 to 10:00, cakes, drinks and lunch 11:00 to 18:00, evening meals 18:00 to 21:00 (A&E,F,V).
21. Pakkhús Restaurant Krosseyjarvegur, by the Harbor at Hofn – enjoy the famous Hofn lobster. Lunches, cakes, drinks and snacks, soups, starters, pizza, salads, main courses, and desserts. Bar and outdoor dining area. Open (A&E,F,V, Vg).
22. Íshúsið Pizzeria Heppuvegur 2a, Hofn 780. Italian, pizza, local lobster, and European cuisine. Outdoor dining area. Open Saturday to Thursday 17:00 to 21:00 and Friday 12:00 to 21:00. (B&A,F,V)