10 fun facts about the Icelandic National soccer team
1. Iceland is the smallest country ever to qualify for the World Cup!
2. Jón Daði Böðvarsson comes from the small town of Selfoss on the South Coast. When he was playing in Stavanger in Norway he was chosen the Sportsman of the year in his county back home, Árborg. He used the prize money to start a fund for kids who want to play football but can’t afford it. The fund is called “Knattspyrna fyrir alla” or Soccer for everyone!
3. The whole population of Iceland is slightly over 350.000 but our team is now number 22 on FIFA’s list.
5. Ragnar Sigurðsson used to use the username Rassgatið or Asshole on Instagram, yes really! Now he is Sykurson “son of Sugar”.
6. Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson was excellent at the video game Counter Strike in his younger years and actually competed on the most famous tournament in Iceland Skjálfti. He was also a guitar player in a rock band.
7. When Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson treats himself it is usually with Vesturbæjarís Ice cream. He has often spoken about this in interviews. IF you want to go for “A Gylfi” at Vesturbæjarís Ice Cream Shop ask for “Bragðarefur með Jarðarberjum (strawberries), mars og snickers”
8. Aron Einar Gunnarsson is tattooed all over and even had the church from his hometown Akureyri in the North of Iceland going down his right arm and the Icelandic flag huge over his back.
9. When a new man is chosen for the team he always needs to stand up on a chair and sing a song for the whole team.
Photo by Reuters
10. Emil Hallfreðsson imports red wine to Iceland from the Allegrini-family in the Valpolicella-valley not far from Verona, Emil played for Hellas Verona for a long time.
SOME NEW EXTRA FACTS ABOUT THE ICELANDIC NATIONAL TEAM (we just can’t get enough)
11. Birkir Már Sævarsson is playing for the local Reykjavík team Valur here in Iceland but also works for a Salt Company. He is actually using his Summer Vacation to play at the World Cup.
12. The Icelandic team has two players in the group of the oldest players competing in the World Cup in 2018.
13. The Icelandic National Team has scored a goal in every game at a big tournament.
Latest update on the Icelandic National team
The Icelandic men’s national team has now qualified for the 2018 World Cup. This is the first time in history that such a small nation has qualified and we are extremely proud!
Many remember the dream like a fairytale in the 2016’s Euro Cup when the Icelandic team beat England and matched Portugal’s goal. This really showed the true spirit of our Viking players and we believe that now THERE IS NO STOPPING THE ICELANDIC NATIONAL TEAM!
We will end this with the ever so popular VIKING CLAP!
The Iceland World Cup 2018 Squad | Iceland World Cup Team
Hannes Þór Halldórsson
Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson
Ari Freyr Skúlason
Hörður Björgvin Magnússon
Birkir Már Sævarsson
Sverrir Ingi Ingason
Hólmar Örn Eyjólfsson
Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson
Arnór Ingvi Traustason
Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson
Ólafur Ingi Skúlason
Samúel Kári Friðjónsson
Aron Einar Gunnarsson
Jón Daði Böðvarsson
Björn Bergmann Sigurðarson
The Iceland World Cup 2018 Jersey | Icelandic National Football Team Jersey
The Icelandic National soccer team. They are fierce, they never ever give up and they are strong as hell. The team has had amazing players throughout the years and playing football has been the love of their lives. Like you have probably seen in the news recently female soccer players get very limited funding and pay as well. The sacrifice all they for the love of the game and this is truly unique! Here are some facts about the Icelandic national soccer team that will show how BADASS they really are!
There are no real words to explain the happiness that surrounds the amazing fact the Icelandic men's national team has qualified for the 2018 World Cup. When we qualified for the Euro Cup we thought we couldn't get higher. That was the dream and no one had even imagined putting the bar this high. But after Euro our spirits were high and our expectations as well. Now THERE IS NO STOPPING THE ICELANDIC NATIONAL TEAM!
I am Icelandic so this might seem like a weird thing to write about but the more I travel the more I realize that Icelanders, living on an island far in the North, have slowly developed a culture that is quite different to anywhere else. Here is a list of how to make Icelanders like you.
Icelanders are an interesting nation. We were isolated here on this island of ice and fire away from everyone else for a very long time and sometimes I think we didn't fully get the memo when things went out of style or weren't the right way to behave anymore. Here I will go over the super Icelandic cultural things that still exist here!